A Lively African Wedding at Prairie Glass House
CHAMPAIGN, IL | AUGUST 25TH, 2018


Admittedly, I was a bit nervous about Saturday’s wedding. At Marlyse and Lucien’s engagement session we talked about some of the elements of their wedding day that would make it unique, mainly that they would be intertwining a traditional African wedding with a traditional American wedding. It was also a bit intimidating to hear that 90% of the guests would only speak French (jealous!) so I would need to have the other 10% of people to talk to, and about 5% could translate for me if needed. It was also scheduled to be an outside reception, and there was a chance for rain, or at the very least it’d be hot and humid. If you know me well enough, you know that this was all a challenge I was excited to take on, just nervous because I wanted to do it right! Now that the day has come and gone, I realize there was nothing to be worried about! I would relive this day over and over again, it was so fun! Marlyse and Lucien made me (and the other vendors) feel right at home and part of the family right away, and I LOVED hearing everyone around me speaking French!

The morning was spent prepping Marlyse for the ceremony at St. Matthew’s, where she had a traditional white gown and the longest veil I’ve EVER seen! The guys were dressed sharp in blue, which paired well with the purple and teal bridesmaids dresses! Everything was so full of color. The pair mixed traditional African elements in their ceremony by including their two pastors along with a choir who sang African wedding songs. It was amazing and so fun to hear the crowd yell, dance, and chant along! After portraits were done, Marlyse and Lucien then changed into their African dress for the reception, which were so colorful and vibrant! Once the dance floor opened up I didn’t want to leave! It’s not everyday I get to witness such a full lively dance floor dancing to French music!

arfican wedding dress details purple dune wedding shoes london illinois diamond lady t london makeup artist prairie glass house flower girls makeup artist prairie glass house african wedding bride groom st. matthews catholic church champaign illinois st. matthews wedding ceremony illinois african bride champaign illinois wedding tribal singer weddings african tradition prairie glass property wedding photos prairie glass house dancing spinning african couple wedding day champaign champaign wedding photographer mager image african tradtition bride veil prairie glass house property photos PGH wedding venue champaign illinoi steps on the hill prairie glass house PGH african tradition wardriobe change kente groom napping wedding day african kente white purple bridal outdoor tent pgh house cake artist studio champaign illinoi african couple wedding day toasts champaign wedding venue reception london dj wedding dancing champaign wedding reception urbana champaign wedding venue mager image

Ceremony | ST. MATTHEW’S CATHOLIC PARISH

Reception | PRAIRIE GLASS HOUSE

Hair + Makeup | DIAMOND BY LADY T, DAGENHAM, UK

Dress Store, Bridesmaid’s Dresses, + Men’s Tuxes | MILLIE’S FASHION WEDDING DRESS, LONDON, UK

Jewelry | DEBENHAM’S, LONDON, UK

Shoes | DUNE LONDON, UK

Videographer | TORI BEACH VIDEOGRAPHY

DJ | FABRICE DONGO

Cake | CAKE ARTISTS STUDIO

Bride’s Kente + Accessories | EDWAASO

Photographer | MAGER IMAGE PHOTOGRAPHY

Related Post

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This